Dave Austin wrote:
I am generating FO files from RTF files with a handy utility called
RTF2FO.  I set the character encoding to ISO-8859-1 for linux.

I have several character references in the FO file. For instance,
• is embedded as the bullet. However, the resultant SVG from the
FO Processor does not include those references, just ?'s.

It's probably similar to this FAQ: http://xml.apache.org/fop/faq.html#pdf-characters with the added twist that RTF was invented before Unicode and has no capability to use multibyte character sets, or even to store character set information. You can't do much about this (except avoiding non-ISO-8859-1 characters).

J.Pietschmann