I have 2 almost identical Polish PDF documents created using FOP.
The difference between them is one word (this word is repeated
several times in different sections). These documents are created
from a template and based on to whom they are directed (M/F), they
have the word "pana" or "pani" inserted in blank spot (it's "mister"
and "miss" in Polish).

The trouble is that this rather slight change makes the characters
"mi" (every occurence) glue together -- there's no space between
them all over the document.

I think it's because the ttfreader creates incorect metrics file for
the font I use (Humanist). When I change font from Humanist to e.g.
Arial everything is ok.

Is there anything I could do besides changing the font?

I'm using:
- fop 0.20.5
- font Humanist (and metrics file created without -enc ansi, because
I'm using iso8859-2 characters)
- every file is encoded in UTF-8.
- both win32 and linux
- Adobe Reader 6/7 and GhostView