Luke,

Resolution is a tough nut. You can find more info on the FOP Graphics page[1]. A couple of patient people have done tons of testing, which you can find in the archives from a year or two ago. The way I got high quality was to create a 300dpi logo image that was larger than I needed, then specified width & height attributes that required the image shrink to fit. It's not an exact science, unfortunately.

[1]
http://xml.apache.org/fop/graphics.html