> But if his input XML is already XSL-processable
> (perhaps indicated by the fact that only a default
> stylesheet would be needed to "transform" it), I think
> FOP can do this already.  How about:
>
> fop -fo abc.xml -pdf abc.pdf

Nope.
[ERROR] Expected XSL-FO (root, page-sequence, etc.), SVG (svg, rect, etc.) or el
ements from another supported language.

I think FOP can do it, it just needs to not set the -xsl flag and/or this error
turned into a warning:
"[ERROR] XSLT file must be specified for the tranform mode"
ie let xalan spit the error if there's no processing instruction.

I don't know Java, any hints on where to start with this?

Cheers,
Roland