Ok so I think the only way out it to pre process my xml file to mark special characters so that I can them easily find them in my xsl document. Could another option be to find a font that contains all unicode characters? How difficult is it to embed a special font that would work both on Mac and PC? Do you have any pointers on how to do this?

Thanks,

Patrick