The following code prints top to bottom, but the letters are stacked.  It's
a starting point.

<svg:text x="1" y="1" writing-mode="tb" glyph-orientation-vertical="0">
YOUR TEXT HERE
</svg:text>

-Lou

                      "Andreas L.

                      Delmelle"                To:
<fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]         cc:

                      ndora.be>                Subject: RE: How can I rotate
text for a 90o sidebar?

                      03/27/2005 06:30

                      Please respond

                      to fop-users

Hi,

> I'm trying to insert some text into "xsl-region-start" and I'd
> like it rotated 90-degrees to you'd have to tilt your head
> sideways to read it.  I think the "reference-orientation"
> property is the right approach but it isn't implemented in FOP.
>
> Is there a work-around?

The only workaround I know of would be to use SVG to draw the rotated
text...

HTH!

Greetz,

Andreas