Charles Griswold wrote:

I've been trying an example of generating FO for a PCL printer. I have two printers, a HP 1210 Multifunction and a Canon s820. I get a printer error when I send the pcl stream to the hp and no response from the Canon.
I'm guessing that these printers do not support PCL. I researched the HP web site and it says that all laserjet printers support PCL but no mention of deskjets.

What did you put in your FO? The PCL Renderer in FOP is very basic and you should test your printers using just plain text in your FO. If the FO is complicated with lists, tables and lots of graphics, then the PCL Renderer wont cope.

Am I correct in my thinking that these printer are not compatible with PCL?
Is there any java capable solution where a PCL stream can be converted to other formats?

FOP can output Postscript too.

Chris