On 04 Jun 2009, at 10:15, nancy_b wrote:

Hi Nancy

Thanks for your explanations. I think my version of FOP 0.95 does insert
Symbol and Zapfdingbats into the font-family parameter - along with
sans-serif. Apparently, my repository points to the trunk. Look:

<fo:root xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
font-family="serif,Symbol,ZapfDingbats" font-size="12pt" text- align="start"
line-height="normal" font-selection-strategy="character-by-character"
line-height-shift-adjustment="disregard-shifts" language="en">

So, I don't see the reason why the # symbol appears in the PDF doc. It seems
that FOP finds the Zapfdingbats font...

FOP 0.95 does not yet implement automatic selection of the correct font. In the above sample, 0.95 or earlier will always use only the 'serif' font (the first specified in the list). FOP Trunk should be able to deal with that, as it considers all the specified fonts.

You have to make sure that either Symbol or ZapfDingbats is specified as the first font (depending on which character/codepoint you want to render).

HTH!

Andreas