Hi Andreas,

I thought that it's enough to put the ZapfDingBat's hexadecimal code for the
symbol in my XML file (&#x206E) -and that's it - FOP will understand that it
has to pick up the Zapfdingbats font and draw the telephone symbol. That's
what I did. After compiling the PDF, I opened the .fo file, and here what I
see:
<fo:block/>
      ☎  +1 (800) 425 9546
<fo:block/>

In my params.xsl, I have the following parameter:

<xsl:param name="symbol.font.family">Symbol,ZapfDingbats</xsl:param>

So you mean that if Symbol is the first font, FOP will pick it up, fail to
produce the phone symbol, and won't fall back to  ZapfDingbats?

Thanks in advance!
Nancy

If you need the phone icon, then for FOP 0.95 or earlier, you would
need one of the following:
<fo:character character="&#x260E;"
   font-family="ZapfDingbats" font-weight="normal" font-
style="normal" />
<fo:wrapper font-family="ZapfDingbats" font-weight="normal" font-
style="normal">&#x260E;</fo:wrapper>
I thought

If you would specify 'font-family="AnyOtherFont,ZapfDingbats"', then
0.95 will try only the "AnyOtherFont" family, as it specified first in
the list.