On 12/07/16 10:56, colm.scan...@gmail.com wrote:
> In Foreman i see the images and scss files in ~foreman/app/assets/images
> and /stylesheets however the live website seems to be looking in
> ~/foreman/public/assets
>
> Can anyone shed some light on where Foreman is looking for its style and
> images and how it compiles them into the public/assets folder to be
> viewed in real time?

app/assets/ contains the source/original files, and to run the app in
the production Rails environment with public/assets/, they're compiled
using the rake assets:precompile task. This combines, compresses and
minifies the source files.

If you're using our packages, this is done at build time and the
generated files in public/assets/ are shipped inside the package. If
you're running from source, you will run rake assets:precompile manually.

It's technically possible to re-run the precompilation on a package
installation if you install foreman-assets to get the dependencies, but
I'd not recommend it as it'll overwrite, delete and otherwise mess with
packaged files.

--
Dominic Cleal
domi...@cleal.org