Thank you for your reply.
I've followed these steps once again, still no change...

I see in smart-proxy (debug) log:
Successfully initialized 'salt'
But on the foreman gui still no 'salt' feature after smart-proxy refresh.
Moreover proxy.log doesn't contain any other useful information...
I'm using 'foreman_salt' foreman plugin via source install:
/usr/share/foreman/bundler.d/Gemfile.local.rb (using 6.0.0 branch, my
foreman is 1.12), which seems to install just fine.

To sum up steps:
1. sudo foreman-installer \
   --no-enable-foreman-proxy \
   --no-enable-puppet \
   --puppet-server=false \
   --foreman-user-groups=EMPTY_ARRAY \
   --foreman-server-ssl-ca=$CA_CERT \
   --foreman-server-ssl-chain=$CA_CERT \
   --foreman-server-ssl-cert=$FOREMAN_CERT \
   --foreman-server-ssl-key=$FOREMAN_KEY \
   --foreman-server-ssl-crl=$FOREMAN_CRL \
   --foreman-client-ssl-ca=$CA_CERT \
   --foreman-client-ssl-cert=$FOREMAN_CERT \
   --foreman-client-ssl-key=$FOREMAN_KEY \
   --foreman-websockets-ssl-cert=$FOREMAN_CERT \
   --foreman-websockets-ssl-key=$FOREMAN_KEY \
   --puppet-ssldir=$CERT_BASEDIR \
   --foreman-puppet-ssldir=$CERT_BASEDIR

(it seems to install smart-proxy - I can see it in *ps aux, *I'm killing
this process)

2. installing foreman_salt using aforementioned method, running db:migrate.
3. Cloning my fork of smart-proxy-salt and smart-proxy
4. gem build *.gemspec; sudo gem install *.gem
5. changing settings in smart-proxy/settings.d (generic and salt ones,
:enabled is set to https), running *bundle install* (I see smart_proxy_salt)
6. run smart-proxy/bin/smart-proxy

Outcome:
smart-proxy doesn't show salt feature, absolutely nothing in logs...