On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 3:24 AM, Ondrej Prazak <opra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> +1 for keeping the macros. IMHO, just because we did something a certain way
> for a long time should not prevent us from changing it if there are reasons
> for a change. This is also not the first change in core that affected
> plugin(s) in a negative way and I doubt it will be the last. Breaking plugin
> tests is unpleasant, but it is still a second best scenario.

The plugin test failure is relatively minor, the main objection here
is the number of users who rely on this interface now need to change.
After raising this issue we got some PR's that help the migrations
which is nice, but there's
organizations who have less sophisticated technical users who learned
basic ERB who have to re-learn this, not to mention that git repos of
users using foreman_templates now have to update, and we now have lots
of incorrect info out there on the internet and internal intranets
that need to be updated.  We're making our users do a lot of work for
not a lot of good.

The change was not needed, and it was merged while a significant
number of developers were away for the holidays.  I think it should be
changed to restore the @host interface, or reverted. I know there are
some benefits to stop using the Host::Managed object, but we could've
implemented @host as an instance of some proxy class without breakage
for users.

FWIW, this change, if we actually followed semver, should require a
bump to 2.0 once the deprecated methods are removed.

- Stephen