> Let's continue the discussion here since it might read more people. I think
> that as a user I don't care that my installation consists of core and several
> plugins and I want to have Viewer role that gathers all view permission for
> the whole app.
>
> This does not in conflict with also providing "$plugin Viewer" and "$plugin
> Manager" roles so if user wants to create a user group from subset of
> permission he can still do it.
>
> If you want to keep current Viewer and Manager roles to contain only core
> permissions then I'd suggest renaming them to Core Viewer and Core Manager

The price for that is too high in my eyes. I think these roles and
permissions should be strictly separated for now and forever and we
need to come up with different approach of handling that. What I like
the best is a help text, better documentation and renaming the core
roles to something that is more obvious.

Allowing plugins to modify core roles will end up with a mess that is
very difficult to clean! Both adding and deleting permissions for
existing roles during upgrades is very challenging, we usually want to
tell administrators "hey, danger ahead, during upgrade all these users
will get/lost some permissions" so it's a dilemma to do this via
migration/seed or explicitly ask the user to do the change in upgrade
notes. When reviewing these changes, we need to be careful and we are
doing great job in core, but I wonder what happens if we open the
doors to any plugin to basically play around with the two most
important roles in the application.

--
Later,
  Lukas @lzap Zapletal