Hello

the smart proxy chef plugin is only a proxy between Foreman - chef-client and
Foreman - chef-server. Most of Foreman functionality proxies the communication
through smart-proxy, the idea is that Foreman is running on one place e.g. in
office while you need to talk to many hosts in datacenters. These hosts might
not be accessible from outside network so you put smart-proxy to the
datacenter and make this as the only available endpoint.

It's totally up to you if you decide to go this path, if this is not your
case, you can just add one plugin on foreman side. For iot devices it really
depends on what you're trying to achieve. Describing that on few examples
would help me understand what you need.

--
Marek