On 07/18, Greg Sutcliffe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been thinking for a while about plugins, and how to continue them
> when original authors move on. It's only natural that developers will
> come and go, so we need to think about how to deal with this. We've got
> a few examples of this now, and have had others in the past.
>
> 1) I'm playing with Salt in my spare time at the moment, with a view to
> (maybe) taking on the foreman_salt plugin, since Stephen is no longer
> working on it. However, it's only chance that I know this fact -
> there's no easy way for an author to mark a plugin as "orphaned".
>
> 2) Some plugins are awaiting changes but the author hasn't responded
> (yet!). Foreman_bootdisk has some open PRs at the moment that fall into
> this category (PRs 42, 43 for example), and default_hostgroup has pen
> issues (oops!). Presumably we need a way to ping authors and find out
> if they're just AFK or have stepped away from the plugin entirely.
>
> 3) Some plugins are definitely abandoned. I recall Chris Pisano taking
> over the foreman_banner plugin last year and struggling to get in touch
> with the original author at all.
>
> For context, Fedora does have a policy for this that makes some sense:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Policy_for_nonresponsive_package_maintai
> ners
>
> That's quite heavy, but some of the points make sense. So, do we need
> to add something to our docs about this. My gut feeling is:
>
> * Yes, we do
> * Only applies to plugins in "theforeman" GitHub repo
> * We need to add extra maintainers to the Rubygems *before* the author
> leaves - Chris had a real issue here. This could be a requirement of
> getting aplugin packaged, for example.

+1 to this, I am stuck with foreman-docker where I want to give publish
access to Bastilian but I can't

> * We need to allow authors to "abandon" a plugin clearly (something
> like how the Arch User Repository does it maybe?)

I think marking this in a GitHub issue, README or somewhere like that
would be enough, not sure if we need anything more formal than that
(there are 1000s of packages in Fedora, only a few 10s of plugins?)

> Thoughts?
> Greg
>
> --

Daniel Lobato Garcia