Hi all,

Over the past week or so I've been trialling Matrix.org[1] as an
alternative to my IRC client. This was partly due to my own curiosity,
and partly because a few people keep suggesting Slack (my objections to
Slack are, I think, well known :P).

Overall I'm pretty impressed with Matrix, at least enough to ask for
more testers. The rooms are "plumbed-in" to the IRC rooms, so it
doesn't matter if you're on Matrix or IRC, you'll see the same content.
(and not via a single account). Indeed, I've been on a Matrix client
for the last week and only a few people have noticed :P. A few other
good points to Matrix:

* Open source (of course :P)
* Federated (our channels are on the main matrix.org server, for now)
* Persistent by default (for all you people without IRC bouncers)
* End-to-end encrypted by default, except plublic rooms
* Plenty of clients (Riot.im is nice, WeeChat plugin for CLI, etc)[2]

The only downside I can see is that only registered IRC users can
private-message a Matrix user - unregistered users get a polite message
about need to register first. This doesn't apply to channels, only PMs.
I don't feel this is too bad, registering to IRC is trivial, and most
support should happen in the channels anyway.

I'll stress that there is *no need* to change anything if you're happy
with IRC, those channels are not going away. But if you've been itching
for something a little more flashy, or just an easy way to have a
persistent connection, Matrix may be of use.

I'm announcing this here before I do it on -users to see if anyone
wants to play / help me find issues. If you do hop on Matrix, I'm
gwmngilfen:matrix.org :)

[1] https://matrix.org/
[2] https://matrix.org/docs/projects/try-matrix-now.html

Greg