Okay, so it turns out that I had the wrong vSwitch selected.... however.

When looking at the compute profile for that device in THAT cluster, it's
listing interface names from ANOTHER cluster/resource, not just the
interfaces in the cluster I selected for that profile.

http://i.imgur.com/3iRSHg3.png

I renamed the interface on that esxi device from "internal" to
"internal-mlpsca01" and then realized it was trying to use an interface
from another vhost in an entirely different cluster.

Would it be possible to make it so that when you set these variables:
http://i.imgur.com/xibT7Fh.png

It will only list the vswitch names from those in the drop downs?

Altering the network selection did allow me to get the host build process
rolling! Thanks for the help very much!