I am still working on details for this idea:

On a CentOS 6 host: We have an all-in-one Foreman 1.12.3 / Puppet 3.8.x
with an external MySQL foreman database, that has been upgraded (OS,
Foreman & Puppet) a few times. We want to keep the configuration
information from the old server to the new server.

We know that we need to move from CentOS 6.x to CentOS 7.x and from Puppet
3.x to 4.x.

How can we best make the transition? Taking into account that it is
possible to scale up Foreman & Puppet to have multiple servers is this idea
valid?

Build a fresh Foreman 1.12.3 / Puppet 4.x Server on CentOS 7.x then point
it to the existing Foreman DB.

Initially leave the legacy puppet clients pointing to the old server.

As the existing Puppet 3 modules/classes are updated to run with the
'future' parser they are copied over to the new Puppet 4 server. To be
tested with Puppet 3 & 4 clients.

When sufficient Puppet modules/classes have been converted to Puppet 4.x
start moving the hosts to the new server.

I can see that there will be a few issues around DNS and certificates. At
the moment I can think of a few options including a new PuppetCA. The
legacy Foreman server was built with the FQDN of the host with the default
alt names in the cert. I plan to build the new server with a CNAME from the
outset, as this will give more options for expansion in the future. It is
also simple to switch a Puppet client to another Puppet server.

One safeguard I can think of is to always have the Puppet clients to only
connect to one of the Foreman / Puppet Servers.

As I stated above I am still working on this idea, my question is.

Is this approach valid, practical or even sensible?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?