On Tue, 2017-10-03 at 16:12 -0700, 'Konstantin Orekhov' via Foreman
users wrote:
> > As Lukas says, a full refactor may well happen, and we'd love input
> > on that as we go forward.
>
> Any of you, guys, going to PuppetConf this year? If so, can we meet
> and have a discussion on this maybe?

I certainly won't be, sadly. I'll ask around and see if anyone is
heading down.

> > I think I agree - the hosts should keep retrying until they get a
> > response from Foreman, but then actions can be taken. I'd probably
> > be in favour of keeping the retry (so that, say, if the offending
> > MAC is removed in Foreman, the host can register on the next
> > retry), but perhaps split the process into two calls. The first is
> > a light "am I registered?" call that returns true/false, and only
> > if false would the heavier registration call be made. Does that
> > work?
>
> Yes, this would definitely work. This is also is one of the states of
> a system in the state machine we talked about above.

Agreed, a proper place to hook it would be ideal, I'm just throwing
ideas out that might help in the short term. Sounds like Lukas has you
covered on the DB locking issues anyway though :P

Greg