Hello,
Oracle (BEA) Weblogic is biggest commercial app server. Big
organizations use it and we deployed system developed by Sculptor to
this environment. Web tier (consisting of more physical and logical
servers) call services in service tier (consisting of more physical
and logical servers). It's used in huge production system. I used it
as proof that things are working well.
RCP is Rich Client Platform from Eclipse and this project nature is
used for developing client side application inside Eclipse RCP. It has
nothing common with RPC.

Real services are instantiated inside server with Spring configuration
file src/generated/resources/applicationContext.xml with Service
annotations on classes. Rest is Spring configuration which is
described in Spring remoting manual.

Hope this help

Pavel