I got intrigued anyway and looked at the sources for FlashStore, which
contain the note:

"; Due to a strange side effect with Intel Flash Chips, a special "NULL"
file
; is saved as the first file to the Card. These bytes occupies the first
; bytes that otherwise could be interpreted as a random boot command for the
; Intel chip - the behaviour is an Intel chip suddenly gone into command
; mode for no particular reason.
;
; The NULL file prevents this behaviour by saving a file that avoids any
; kind of boot commands which sends the chip into command mode when the card
; has been inserted into a Z88 slot."

So the 6 bytes are just a file entry with a null filename and zero length.

Garry