Statement of Non Governmental  Organizations
      To The Informal Ministerial Meeting on  Climate Change

    Bogor- Indonesia, 24 October  2007

    Honorable Ministers, Distinguished Delegates, Ladies and Gentlemen,

    We, representatives of some  Indonesian NGOs, including a coalition of NGOs
in Bali  concerned about climate change issues would like to share our concerns
about  climate justice. Indeed Indonesia  is an example of a country is already
and will be a victim of climate change.  We have been accused of damaging our
forests that are important for the global  community, yet Indonesia  is being
eyed as a long-term source of raw materials for the aggressive growth  of the
global industrial complex with no due regard to the recurrent  catastrophes and
threat to sustainability of our communities.

    Many developing countries face  the same situation. Who is going to
ameliorate the sufferings of these affected  countries and people? Clearly,
there is a need for a fund for reconstruction,  which goes beyond that for
adaptation. This is an issue of development and  human rights, and that of
humanitarian assistance, which goes beyond the  charity notions of aid. The
answer to this question is that those countries  with the greatest
responsibility for historical and continuing greenhouse gas  emissions who have
sufficient wealth that defines their capacity to act.

    Hence, for a post 2012 regime,  there has to be agreement on the
“burden-sharing” principles between the North  and South in avoiding climate
catastrophe.

    Action between now and then must  also be governed by the principles of
historical responsibility and the  capacity to act.

    An important issue is whether and  how we can find a sustainable
development pathway for developing countries that  includes not only a climate
protection pathway, but also a pathway to improve  the living standards of our
people and to alleviate poverty within an  ecological framework, and enables
new policies for agriculture, industry, trade  and finance.

    For this, mitigation efforts must  be integrally linked to the design of
the development pathway.  Hence, the following issues are critical –

   The need for coherence in policies at both the       international and
national levels. In relation to the international level,       policy coherence
is critical in the WTO, IMF and the World Bank       with the   fulfillment
human civil,       politics, economics, social, and cultural rights as well as
with the       climate change regime and sustainable development. Coherence
should be       around sustainable development and climate change and not
around trade.       This also requires coherence in developed country policies
as well.

    Instead of advancing such coherence,  mercantilist policies are being
pursued through the international financial  institutions with aid
conditionality, and in the WTO and Free Trade Agreements  to open up the
economies of the developing countries that undermine sustainable  development.

    How can developing countries put priority in  integrating climate change
into national policies when international policies  and measures exacerbate
poverty and inequity, including through the  displacement of small farms and
firms and loss of access over natural resources  to powerful foreign
corporations? Such so-called ‘free trade’ policies enhance  climate
vulnerability as the poor lack the resources to adapt or be resilient  to
climatic changes.

   There is a       need to solve the problem of odious debts of developing
countries. The       payments of these debts have long been done by damaging
natural resources       and social support systems of communities leaving them
vulnerable to the       impacts of climate change.

   Moreover, for developing countries to undertake a       mitigation pathway
that enables the rapid domestic deployment of climate       friendly
technologies, requires changes to the way in which technology transfer       is
managed and governed. Many of us in the South believe that there cannot
be a strict requirement to comply with intellectual property rights that
profits       monopolies if we are to succeed. We must find a way to breakdown
the       barriers to rapid deployment of clean technologies that the poor can
afford.

   It is also fundamental to undertake lifestyle changes       especially in
the North and among the elites of the South at the expenses       of natural
resources and majority of poor populations. We cannot afford to       maintain
the position that the lifestyles of the rich are not up for       negotiation.
We have to live simply so that others can simply live!

   In relation to the technology options for mitigation, we       have very
serious concerns over nuclear energy, genetically modified       trees, carbon
capture and storage and biofuels for environmental and       safety reasons. We
consider that these are not ways out to combat global       warming, but
endangering environment and poor populations.

   .We therefore appeals to governments of the North to       seriously address
these matters.  We       also appeal to the Southern leaders to begin to take
the necessary steps       for a post Kyoto       framework, recognizing that
this requires fundamental changes in the South       and in the North.

    Finally, some final last words. Bali is just a few weeks away. We have
reasonable  expectation that all of the delegates present at this informal
ministerial  meeting are going to return to Bali with the  least NIMBY/egoistic
position of the individual states.

    Nevertheless, we should remind  ourselves that with our all-out efforts up
to COP13 in Bali,  we are still using an extremely narrow language of policy
and action, way  beyond the grasp and imagination of the ordinary people.
Beyond the procedural  and global action scheduling grids of the UNFCCC since
COP13, we must confront  the new social and ecological  externalities that the
fuel-switching and other technological fix formulas  we currently are pushing
will impose unevenly across the globe, of which we in  the South are going to
absorp most of the brunt.

    The post-2012 is  contingently depending on your stance: whether you want
to maintain the BAU  economic expansion model, or whether you really care to
our people back home.  The most critical front for Bali and beyond  remains
whether we care to realize a thorough and meaningful political,  economic and
fiscal reform in our own country.

    Thank you.

    Read by:

    Farah Sofa
    Friends of the Earth Indonesia  (WALHI)

http://csoforum.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=1

  On  Behalf of :

   WALHI/Friends of the Earth Indonesia
   The Indonesian Biodiversity Foundation (Yayasan KEHATI)
   Indonesian People’s Forum (IPF).
   Masyarakat Penanggulangan Bencana Indonesia       (MPBI).
   Sawit Watch
   Satu Dunia
   Sekretariat Bersama Indonesia Berseru       (SBIB)
   Aliansi Masyarakat Adat Nusantara (AMAN)
   Bali Climate Change (collaboration of Bali       Organic Association, PPLH,
Walhi Bali Chapter, Yayasan Wisnu)
   CUSO Indonesia
   Federasi Serikat Petani Indonesia
   Forest Watch Indonesia       (FWI)
   GEF SGP Indonesia
   Greenpeace South East        Asia
   Indonesian Centre for Environmental Law (ICEL)
   Institut Hukum Sumber Daya Alam  (IHSA)
   Institute for Essential Services Reform (IESR)
   Jaringan Advokasi Tambang (JATAM)
   Lembaga Alam Tropika Nasional (LATIN)
   NASTARI
   RACA Institute
   Solidaritas Perempuan
   TELAPAK
   The Foundation of Indonesian Institute of Energy Economics (IIEE)
   TIFA Foundation
   World Wild Fund for Nature (WWF)
   Yayasan Burung Indonesia
   Yayasan Kelompok Masyarakat Pengelola       Sumberdaya Alam (KEMALA)
   Yayasan Pelangi Indonesia       (PELANGI)
   Yayasan Pembangunan Berkelanjutan (YPB)

                                                 CIVIL SOCIETY FORUM (CSF) FOR
CLIMATE JUSTICE

      The  Initiation of CSF for Climate Justice

      Civil  Society Forum (CSF) for Climate Justice s a consensus built at a
meeting of  several Indonesian civil society organizations (CSOs) regarding the
COP 13/CMP  3 on May 21, 2007. The meeting was elaborating the importance of
consolidation  among Indonesia CSOs towards the COP 13/CMP 3 of UNFCCC in Bali
on 3-14 December 2007.

      At the  beginning there were 19 organizations attended and agreed on a
decision to form  the CSF that will organize programs and activities prior to,
during and post to  the COP 13 both inside and outside the UN system. More
organizations were later  committed to join CSF two months after the initial
meeting. There are 30 organizations  were committed to this forum. Since CSF on
Climate Justice is an open forum,  the opportunity for any parties, both NGOs
or individual, to commit and engage   the forum is remain open.

      Seven  CSOs are agreed to collectively take responsibility to organize
CSF activities,  referred to as the Forum Dynamics Team (FTD). The CSF’s FTD
comprises Wahana  Lingkungan Hidup Indonesian (WALHI), Masyarakat
Penanggulangan Bencana  Indonesian (MPBI), Yayasan Kelompok Masyarakat
Pengelola Sumberdaya Alam  (KEMALA), Yayasan Keanekaragaman Hayati Indonesia
(KEHATI), Sawit Watch,  SatuDunia and Sekretariat Bersama Indonesia Berseru
(SBIB).

      Objectives  of CSF for Climate Justice

      Climate change is a fact and inevitable.  Ordinary people are bearing
witness to highly intensive anomaly of climate and  weather throughout
Indonesia  and directly receive impacts of such phenomenon. More importantly
is, climate  change is an in equivocal proof failure of the global development
model to  secure safety of global citizens, to protect productivity of people
in the  developing world to meet their quality of life, and to enhance people
capacity  in maintaining the ecological services.

      The global orchestrated efforts for the past  twelve years for reducing
impact of the global warming must depart from  conscious recognition towards
ongoing failures of the growth oriented  development model. Therefore, critical
evaluation towards the global  political-economy supported by various
multilateral political instruments is  becoming an urgent need to cope with
recurrent North-South inequality and  intergeneration injustice and massive
scale of corruption particularly in the  developing world as by product of such
political-economy. To better understand  the aforementioned context and to
convey some key counter arguments of solution  are objectives of CSF for
Climate Justice towards UNFCCC.

      CSF for  Climate Justice Initiatives are strategic stepping stones toward
real action  for permanent settlement of the ongoing recurrent suffers
burdening vast  population of Indonesia. The forum will accommodate interests
of CSOs and  People Organizations (POs), particularly those are voicing the
vulnerable  communities towards political processes at the UNFCCC meeting.
Strong movement  has to be initiated to push the Government of Indonesia to be
more relevant to  the reality of the vulnerable and highly impacted
communities.

      More  specifically, key immediate objectives of the CSF are:

   Raise and build public awareness on       impacts of climate change in
Indonesia;
   Strengthen solidarity amongst CSOs to       respond climate change politics
at the national, regional, and       international level;
   Facilitate voices of the vulnerable       communities in COP 13/CMP 3  of
UNFCCC event in Bali; and,
   Provide key counter arguments for       putting the vulnerable community’s
interest first to the government       regarding its political position in
UNFCCC

      CSF  Activities

      The CSF  for Climate Justice will organize series of activity prior to,
during, and post  of COP 13/CMP 3 of UNFCCC. The activities cover four major
concerns:

   Human security
   Productivity and Consumption
   Debt, including ecological debt
   Land Use

      For further information on CSF for Climate  Justice, please contact:

      Puji Sumedi : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      Rini Nasution  (international) : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

      Secretariat of Civil Society Forum
      Jl. Mampang Prapatan VI  No. 67 Jakarta Selatan Indonesia
      T. 62-21-7919 8410
      F. 62-21-7919 0139
      E. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      M. [EMAIL PROTECTED]