Good day,

I want to factor polynomials over GF(2^m).  As a quick test, I did the
following:

R:=PolynomialRing(GF(8),["x"]);
x:=Indeterminate(GF(8),"x");
p := x^7 + 1;
Factors(p);

The result that I obtain is:
[ x+Z(2)^0, x^3+x+Z(2)^0, x^3+x^2+Z(2)^0 ]

This doesn't make sense, since I expected (x-\alpha^0), (x-\alpha^1) ...
(x-\alpha^6) to have been the roots.

What am I doing wrong?

Kind Regards,
Jaco

_______________________________
Jaco Versfeld (D.Ing)
Senior lecturer
Centre for Telecommunications Access and Services
School of Electrical and Information Engineering
University of the Witwatersrand
Johannesburg

Tel:         +27-11-717-7212
Email:     jaco.versf...@wits.ac.za
web:       http://school.eie.wits.ac.za/~versfeld=
style="width:100%;">
size="1" color="#999999"><span style="font-size:11px;">This communication is
intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original
message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without the
permission of the University. Only authorised signatories are competent to
enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus
advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the
University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which
are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the
Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and
outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in