Yes, a true hex mode allows you to mess up any file if you're not careful.  A
true hex mode ("open in hex editor") should show you the actual bytes in the
file as stored on the hard drive.

Is the purpose of the "partial" hex mode (when switching from text to hex mode)
to allow easy editing of Unicode files while ensuring the mathematically-based
structure of the file?  If so, I would rename this feature to something like
"raw Unicode edit mode".  I don't think this mode qualifies as a true hex editor
because it doesn't seem to show the actual bytes of the file as stored on the
hard drive.

In summary, I propose the following:
-Allow text files to swap between normal and partial hex (renamed to "raw
Unicode edit mode") views
-Have a separate button to allow any file (text or binary) to be swapped between
text and true hex (actual bytes) views

My proposal would:
-Eliminate the confusion of two "hex modes" that seem to be different but have
the same name
-Allow switching between text/true hex views without being forced to reopen the
file

--
<http://forum.pspad.com/read.php?2,46580,46609>
PSPad freeware editor http://www.pspad.com