I find this happens every once in a while after saving a file via ftp, in every
instance it happens during an application crash.  I only use ftp for my
connections though.  It will randomly replace a line (usually on a line that is
visible on the current editor window view) with a random offering of extended
ASCII characters typically starting within the first 5 columns.

Usually you don't find out about it until a script fails or a web page starts
showing the strange characters.

I have had 3 crashes today after updating to 5.0.6 and in 1 instance ended up
with the strange characters being present in the file.  Typically I may see 2
crashes a month.

Can you tell us what information you need to track this down.  Is there a debug
logger we can access somewhere or a specific detail from the windows event

Here is the detail I found from my Application log but it doesn't seem very
Faulting application name: PSPad.exe, version:, time stamp:
Faulting module name: PSPad.exe, version:, time stamp: 0x606e98be
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000a91c60
Faulting process id: 0x45c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d742bb1e90eee8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\PSPad editor\PSPad.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\PSPad editor\PSPad.exe
Report Id: 659df0e6-5030-4e75-a4a4-3a2da4488c52
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event";>
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Application Error" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2021-05-06T21:52:39.9241518Z" /> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" /> 
  <Security /> 
- <EventData>
  <Data>C:\Program Files\PSPad editor\PSPad.exe</Data> 
  <Data>C:\Program Files\PSPad editor\PSPad.exe</Data> 
  <Data /> 
  <Data /> 

PSPad freeware editor https://www.pspad.com

Odpovedet emailem