I'm proposing to enhance the attachment mechanism in two ways:

(1) Allow attachments on check-ins

(2) Allow tags on attachments.

The motivation here is to better support continuous integration
testing for projects hosted by Fossil.  The ideas here are coming out
of some techniques shown to me by Roy Keene (the current host and
maintainer of chiselapp.com) that he is using on his professional
projects, and my thoughts on how I might do similar things in SQLite
and also in TCL.

My idea is that some project-specific automated test script runs on
the latest trunk check-in, and generates a succinct test report of
some kind, say "test-out.txt".  I would like the ability to attach
that test report to the check-in.  Furthermore, I'd like to be able to
tag that test report as a test report using tags "test-pass" or
"test-fail".  Additional tags might identify the platform on which the
test was run (linux, mac, openbsd, windows) or which specific test
suite was used.  On the timeline display, attachments tagged with
either test-pass or test-fail would be shown inside a <span> with
class='test-pass' or class='test-fail' so that CSS could display those
those attachments specially (perhaps using green and red colors, for
example).  Clicking on the attachment link in the timeline would show
the attachment text, of course.

To support this, the fossil file format must be enhanced to allow T
cards on attachment artifacts
(https://www.fossil-scm.org/fossil/doc/trunk/www/fileformat.wiki#attachment).
T cards in attachments would be required to use * as their second
parameter so that the tags added apply to the attachment only - not to
other objects.  In addition, A card would be enhanced to allow a
check-in hash as its target.

There will also need to be some enhancements to the "fossil
attachment" command to allow the project-specific test scripts to add
appropriate attachments with tags.

Thoughts?

--
D. Richard Hipp