The Problem:

For some time now, we've wanted the ability to add explanatory text
and perhaps some supporting attachments to a branch.  Right now, a
branch is identified by just its name.  And often that is enough of a
hint about what the branch is doing, if the name is carefully chosen.
But sometimes, we'd like to have more space for greater detail about
the brancht, to enter some design notes, perhaps to discuss design
alternatives that were considered but rejected, and so forth.

Proposed Solution:

Suppose a wiki page and branches with the same name were cross-linked.
In other words, have links to the wiki page from the branch, and have
links to the branch from the wiki page.  Then use the wiki page to
record notes about the branch.

I don't know exactly what the interface would look like yet.  But,
perhaps for pages that show the timeline of a single branch (like
https://sqlite.org/src/timeline?r=readonly-wal-recovery) it would show
the rendering of the wiki page on the same screen, either at the top
or the bottom.  At the very least, the
https://sqlite.org/src/timeline?r=readonly-wal-recovery page would
have a link to the corresponding wiki page and the corresponding wiki
page would have a link back to the branch timeline.

There could be an extra column on https://www.sqlite.org/src/brlist
with links to wiki pages for branches that have them.

For a multi-branch timeline view like
https://www.sqlite.org/src/timeline?y=ci perhaps beside the branch
name tags there could be another hyperlink to the wiki page.
"readonly-wal-recovery(wiki)"  Clicking on the "readonly-wal-recovery"
link shows the branch timeline.  Clicking on the "wiki" part shows the
wiki page.

If branches can be associated with wiki of the same name, perhaps the
same trick could work for individual check-ins.  Thus for a check-in
like https://sqlite.org/src/info/0c5d18a01ec77f78 under the Overview
section I could add links to both the "check-in wiki page" and the
"branch wiki page".

Other ideas?

Are there reasons not to make this linkage between wiki pages and
equivalently named branches and check-ins?

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org