let me start again, I think I made things more complicated they should
be... and I made several mistakes below

Let us start with a file that is clearly BSD-3.

What do we output?

- BSD-3
- spdxBSD-3.

Probably spdx-BSD3.

the problem is, sometimes a file "looks" to our tools like BSD-3, but it
is not according to SPDX. Example:

./drivers/net/wimax/i2400m/usb-tx.c

the file includes

The sentence that does not match the SPDX version is:

Neither the name of Intel Corporation nor the names of its
contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
this software without specific prior written permission.

instead of the SPDX approved sentence:

Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its
contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
this software without specific prior written permission.

Notice the difference is "the" before <ORGANIZATION>.

What should we output?

- BSD-3?
or unknown?

In Ninka I defined a new license set with the prefix: spdxBSD-3

A file can be spdxBSD-3, but not BSD-3. I am not sure that is the best
decision.

--dmg

 dmg> If you follow the SPDX discussion you know that I have been looking
 dmg> into the implementation of SDPX.

 dmg> one of challenges of new SPDX licenses is that they are subsets of
 dmg> what we call licenses.
 dmg> i.e. more strict in their text.

 dmg> For instance, in Ninka we allow some variability in some "by
 dmg> inclusion" licenses. Like
 dmg> British vs American spellings Iin BSD. SPDX does not.

 dmg> So the challenge I had was to allow the more strict SPDX detection,
 dmg> while allowing the
 dmg> usual detection for those licenses. In other words:

 dmg> I presume something similar would happen to Fossology, where the SPDX
licenses
 dmg> would have to be scanned first, and if not-matched, then the more
 dmg> traditional licenses
 dmg> scanned.

 dmg> So say file contains a British spelling version of a couple of words
 dmg> in the BSD-3 clauses.

 dmg> Currently Ninka would output: BSD-3

 dmg> With SPDX support, what do we output?

 dmg> BSD-3 and spdx-BSD-3?

 dmg> or only BSD-3?

 dmg> alternatively, our license detection could be configured:

 dmg> - for default licenses (output BSD-3)

 dmg> - for spdx support: unknown licence (attach to Appendix)

 dmg> SPDX is going to gives some headaches :)

 dmg> --dmg

 dmg> For a more concrete example: what would this license be:

 dmg> Here is an example of the BSD3 (non-spdx):

 dmg> ./drivers/net/wimax/i2400m/usb-tx.c

 dmg> The sentence that does not match the SPDX version is:

 dmg> Neither the name of Intel Corporation nor the names of its
 dmg> contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
 dmg> this software without specific prior written permission.

 dmg> instead of:

 dmg> Neither the name of the <ORGANIZATION> nor the names of its
 dmg> contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
 dmg> this software without specific prior written permission.

 dmg> Here is another example  of the BSD3 (non-spdx):

 dmg> ./fs/nfsd/nfs4recover.c

 dmg> This is the sentence that does not match:

 dmg> THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
 dmg> WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
 dmg> MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.

 dmg> instead of:

 dmg> THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
 dmg> "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
 dmg> LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
 dmg> A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.

 dmg> --dmg

 dmg> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Laser, Mary <mary.la...@hp.com> wrote:

 >> Greetings FOSSologists!
 >>

 >> As you may (or may not) know, The Linux Foundation’s Open Compliance Program
 >> has a workgroup dedicated to defining a standardized, adopted format for a
 >> software Bill of Materials or Software Package Data eXchange (SPDX).  SPDX
 >> enables partners in a software supply chain to:
 >>
 >> ·         Easily exchange information about what’s in packages and it’s
 >> licensing
 >>
 >> ·         Avoids rework to identify the info
 >>
 >> ·         And, overall, leads to better compliance
 >>

 >> Here is an excellent video introduction to SPDX (~3.5 minutes long):
 >>
 >> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/programs/legal/compliance/webinars/introduction-to-spdx
 >>

 >> So, what does this have to do with FOSSology????   Read on!
 >>

 >> The current version of FOSSology identifies over 600 licenses.  Many of
 >> these are registered with  SPDX (http://spdx.org/licenses/).  However,
 >> FOSSology is currently missing 54 licenses from the SPDX list (see
 >> attached).
 >>
 >> We have a long standing enhancement to include all SPDX licenses in
 >> FOSSology (item #10 in the unprioritized list,
 >> http://fossology.org/task_list#everything_else).  This task has previously
 >> been prioritized lower than other high visibility enhancements, performance
 >> improvements and underlying architectural changes
 >> (http://fossology.org/task_list#v_2.0) .
 >>

 >> With the upcoming Launch of SPDX at LinuxCon (August 17), the time seems
 >> ripe to get this done.  We are looking for feedback from the FOSSology
 >> Community to understand how this should be prioritized against other
 >> FOSSOlogy requests and enhancements.  We also welcome volunteers who want to
 >> help with this effort.   Adding a new license requires some familiarity with
 >> regular expressions and C programming.  There are many examples of current
 >> licenses in the nomos code (see STRINGS.in and parse.c ).
 >>

 >> Please respond with your comments and level of interest to participate in an
 >> effort to include all SPDX licenses in FOSSology.
 >>

 >> Thanks,
 >>
 >> Mary Laser
 >>
 >> The FOSSology Project
 >>
 >> http://fossology.org