Hi Valerie,
Are you changing the php.ini file that apache uses?  For example, on my debian
system this is in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini.  There may be other php.ini’s on
your system.  One way to tell is to put an error in it and then restart apache
(or test with apachectl) and make sure you see the error.

This is the darnedest thing.   On my system I have all error logging turned on
and I don’t get this error.  But I also don’t have the timezone defined in
php.ini or in my apache config.   I’m using php 5.4.4-14+deb7u11.  So I don’t
know why I’m NOT getting this warning.

As a workaround, in lib/php/bootstrap.php, in the beginning of “function
bootstrap”, you could add:

date_default_timezone_set(‘America/Chicago’);

Bob Gobeille