From: fossology-boun...@lists.fossology.org
[mailto:fossology-boun...@lists.fossology.org] On Behalf Of Fendt, Oliver
Sent: Donnerstag, 8. September 2016 11:44
To: Kate Stewart; heinz.h.hi...@daimler.com
Cc: fossol...@fossology.org
Subject: Re: [FOSSology] Fossology and SPDX in AUTOSAR

Hi Heinz,

[Oliver] thank you for contacting us.
I am working for the AUTOSAR association as one of the FOSS responsibles. I am
investigating about Fossology and SPDX. In that context I would like to get
into contact with you.

•        We want to use e.g. Fossology as the tool for analyzing the FOSS
licenses and then exporting it as SPDX file. This is then transferred to a team
dealing with license issues. Do we get a list of all FOSS licenses? Does it
mean that all these licenses are known in SPDX. Is there a mapping of license
information happening?

[Oliver] It is great that you intend to use FOSSology for the OSS package
license analysis (incl. ecc keyword search and copyright extraction). FOSSology
is able to find license relevant text even if it is only a reference to a
license, e.g. “for licensing conditions please see:
http://exampleproject.org/license.html”

This will be classified as “see URL” license. You then have the chance to look
at the license of the project and incorporate the license into FOSSology (thus
extending the license DB of FOSSology of you instance, of course you can also
sent this license text to us and as for inclusion in the next version of
FOSSology). When you have identified the license – this will be reflected in
the “concluded license tag” of SPDX for that file

The SPDX generation capability has been added  to FOSSology and can be found in
the development version today (3.1 candidate).  It is available to be tested
and provide feedback on improving it is welcome.   FOSSology is able to
generate a list of all FOSS licenses that have been detected in the scanned
code, and provide a summary in SPDX format (both tag:value & RDF are
supported), depending on how you would like to use it.

In SPDX tag:value format - if you grep for "“PackageLicenseInfoFromFiles:” in
the spdx file, you'll find a summary of all the licenses found in the package
analyzed.

FOSSology uses the SPDX license identifier in its output. When there is no
equivalent license reference in SPDX, FOSSology will generate a
"LicenseRef-<insert name>", and put the actual text it discovers in the scanned
files in the spdx file that FOSSology generates.

•        What happens if some parts of the wording in the license are changed.
Is the deviation not recognized, is it highlighted or listed as an unclassified
license?

[Oliver] FOSSology has a very elaborated highlighting mechanism. It highlights
modifications, additions and deletions of the Original license text all in
different colors, thus it is very easy to identify modifications of license
texts

This depends on the scanners selected to be used:   FOSSology has integrated
into it 3 different scanners today:
Nomos - flexible, looks for keyword matches, hints, etc.
Monk - Certainty that known license text and headers is actually found and
wording is exactly reproduced
Ninka - Another precise license scanner looking for actual license text matches.

The time to do the analysis and degree to you which the actual license text
matches, is depended on the scanner you choose.

In tool interface,  the parts of the text that match a scanner are highlighted,
so when you look at specific files, you can quickly see why a tool is asserting
a match.
Please see: https://www.fossology.org/features for some pictures of what this
looks like.

•        Where does the list of licenses that is used in Fossology come from.
In the Fossology documentation the NOMOS list is mentioned
(http://archive15.fossology.org/attachments/3963/license_list_2.6.0.txt) Where
has the list it origin? And does it go in accordance with the license list of
SPDX? Deviation between SPDX and NOMOS

[Oliver] the list of licenses comes from the SPDX license list as well as from
contributions of found licenses to the FOSSology project (see my comment above,
where you have the ability to add licenses to the license DB of FOSSology)
The list of license keywords and regular expressions used for NOMOS originated
when the tool was first created, and has evolved over time.   The SPDX license
list started 5 years ago, and continues to evolve and update every quarter.
There was some work done to analyze the differences between Nomos and SPDX
license list a couple of years ago.  However in 2015, the FOSSology team did a
lot of work to integrate with the SPDX specification and license list into the
tool,  this is still ongoing work for 3.1 release.

In general only Nomos detects a few licenses that aren't part of the SPDX
license list,  usually its because they are historical artifacts, etc.  The
bulk of them correspond to those on the SPDX list.

•        What happens if Fossology finds an unknown list or a commercial
license
(http://archive15.fossology.org/projects/fossology/wiki/Detection_of_Unclassified_licenses).
 Are they all classified as unclassified licenses?
That is my understanding.

[Oliver] it depends of the keywords matched (it could also be that the
commercial license is listed as a reference to URL  - than it will be most
probably classified as “see URL” (see my comment above)

What happens if the license body is missing or if no license description exists
for a file?
It shows up as "no license detected".

And is this information about commercial licenses, not known licenses, …
transferred in the SPDX file in case of an export?
Yes.   :-)

•        Quite often I have seen that NOMOS is mentioned. I can’t find detailed
information about NOMOS. What is NOMOS?
Nomos is one of the scanners that can be used by FOSSology (and was one of the
original ones),  it is very flexible
and does keyword and regular expression matching.   You can find more of an
overview: https://www.fossology.org/features

We would like to continue a discussion based on the questions above. Could you
please tell me who will be our contact person.

If you'd like to learn more in person, we will be having a hands-on training
session on FOSSology on Friday October 7th in Berlin.
Details about the training:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/linuxcon-europe/extend-the-experience/training-tutorials

In addition please feel free to contact me directly, and I'll work with the
FOSSology steering committee members
and FOSSology developers to help answer your further questions.

[Oliver] I recommend that you should try to participate in the training Kate
mentioned. FOSSology is a very powerful tool and it provides features, which
boost efficiency which you should be aware of. Thus a training is the right
thing in my opinion. If you will not be able to attend the training Kate
mentioned please let me know we will for sure find a way to do a training for
you if you are interested

Ciao
Oliver

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,
Kate

--
Kate Stewart
Sr. Director of Strategic Programs,  The Linux Foundation