2008/12/1 Erik Moeller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> What would be the technical requirements of this approach and what
> would be its disadvantages?

It would require 1 bot and a copy of whichever wikis you wanted to
work from. Just harvest all the links to commons and create those on
commons as category redirects (you can also harvest all the redirects
that point at the article with the link to commons and create
redirecting cats for them as well)

Problems? Maintenance wise it would be tricky.

If you were instead going to build something server side you could use
the articles the images are used in as keywords for your search engine
but by then we are getting a little beyond my knowledge of search
design.

--
geni