On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 10:29:45AM -0400, Amory Meltzer wrote:
> I recognize that the issue is more about the point and process of the
> whole thing, and that it's not just Wales who deleted images, but I
> think some perspective is useful.
>
> Jimbo deleted 71 images.
>
> That doesn't call for outright rage.

*Nod.*

I agree that a lot of the rage is due to it being blown out of proportion, in
part, this is due to inadequate communication and followup from the side of
Jwales.

factors:
* he could have taken commons delinker into account. It might take a little
while to fix images that shouldn't have been deleted. He was informed of the
issue of in-use images, but chose to ignore it.
* He shouldn't have encouraged others to follow his example without being
 more clear about what that example entailed
* He could have gotten almost the same bang for his buck (and a lot less
  smoke) by being just a little smarter about things, and following up with
  people 1:1
* We sort of expect Jimbo Wales to have a bit more clue about how to do
  things. Even if just displaying clue without necessarily deviating from
  the course. "Yeah it sucks, but for political reasons it's kind of
  important to shoot first and ask questions later, for now. And it's only
  for these 71 images, you see, not much work to restore just the few we
  mess up"

sincerely,
        Kim Bruning
--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72