> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Fred Bauder <fredb...@fairpoint.net>
> wrote:
>> My thought was for the Foundation to approach Amazon regarding carrying
>> listings of such books which seriously represent their content. as this
>> one does. Such a book approaches fraud.
>>

> Agreed. There is no *obligation* for Amazon to distribute netscrapings.
> Though
> I do agree also that repeated "caveat emptor" messages disseminated as
> broadly
> as posible (maybe a mantra in interviews given by Foundation actors to
> major
> media?) may be the most efficacioius and with least of a downsde. People
> out
> there don't like litigitous whiners.
>
> Another thing that might shut this stuff down, or atleast make people
> more
> savvy in judging what quality they are getting, would be if we finally
> got some
> dead tree stuff out there with the WMF trademark on them for real.
>
> --
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen, ~ [[User:Cimon Avaro]]

I certainly wouldn't want to do something that would shut down production
or discourage sale of books derived from Wikipedia. I can imagine some
pretty cool books.

Yes, suing is a non-starter. Any manner of modification is permissible
under our licenses. The problem is that the negative decision of the
marketplace will affect all material derived from Wikipedia, even
Wikipedia itself.

Fred