I think rupert and I perhaps got crossed wires in translation…

getting us back on topic - I am not sure that the "defining important" argument
is the most cruicial part of the problem (though at a glance it does look like
more work has been done on those than on vital articles) . I think the
important question is who we encourage quality contributions in those areas.

One good suggestion I had seen discussed somewhere (forget where) was that
similar to the community travel grants scheme - the foundation might produce a
"community research scheme" where people who are looking to improve an
important article but who need to purchase access to sources can get a grant
(payable when the article reaches GA/FA level) for JSTOR accounts or whatever.
This would probably only work on mature wiki's where the peer review systems
for a FA are high enough - but it is an interesting idea.
--
Alasdair