On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 March 2012 02:03, John Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I expect that the minutes will explain the varied positions of the
>> board.  If not, then the board should put in place procedures to
>> prevent abuse of abstains.
>
> Could you elaborate on what you mean by "abuse of abstains"?

An abstention is a refusal to vote.  By doing this, a trustee must
have a good reason, such as conflict of interest, and it should be
minuted why, or they are refusing the duties of their appointment and
should be removed.

To often board members choose to abstain rather than oppose, and that
is a failure to do their duty.  The WMF board has a surprisingly high
number of unexplained abstains, especially in light of the Values
including transparency.

--
John Vandenberg