Hi all,

The GNOME Event Box in Europe has been really useful to the local groups
and helped make their booths look really great. After some discussion,
it was agreed that such a box would be most welcome for events in North
America (where North America is at least Canada & US).

The budget to buy the box and its content is $3500. The base address for
the box would most probably be in Boston.

You can see more details about the European box here:
http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam/EventsOrganisation/GnomeEventBox

Here are some concrete items where volunteers would be most welcome:

 + drive the effort behind this box.
 + create pages on the wiki (see the pages for the European box) to
   organize how we'll manage the box.
 + create list of conferences where we would want to send this box.
   This will help us define a proper budget for sending it around the
   continent.
 + help collecting links where we can buy the content for the box.

Did I mention that volunteers are most welcome? Sending a mail is enough
to start being a volunteer ;-)

The proposed content would be (thanks to Rosanna for creating it):

      2 17-inch flat monitors. Approx. cost: $250 each
        (ex: SAMSUNG 740B Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor $225 each)
        Costco has a deal ($229.99) on Scepter 19" Wide screen LCDs
through the
end of the week.
      1 desktop computer: Approx. cost: $600
        New mac mini is $599
        Shuttles are $500 and up
      1 Wireless Access Point. Approx. cost: $75.
        (ex: LINKSYS WRT54GS IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless
Broadband Router - $75)
      1 non-wireless network hub.  Approx. cost: $50
        (ex: LINKSYS EFAH08W EtherFast 10/100Mbps 8-Port Auto-Sensing
Hub - $45)
      1 (ideally 2) wireless mouse and keyboard. Approx. cost: $50 each
        (ex: Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 967561-0403 Black USB +
PS/2 RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included - $43)
      external CD-DVD writer.  Approx. cost: $130
        (ex:  LACIE Black IEEE 1394 / USB 2.0 16X DVD±R External DVD
Burner with LightScribe Model 300978 - $131)
      Some Ethernet cable. (but prefer wireless in general) Cost: ?
          o  Some should still be available from GUADEC 2005.
      2 electrical extension cables. Approx. cost: $15
      3 electrical socket splitters. Approx cost: $20
      1 coffee machine, plus coffee, kettle, tea, and disposable cups
(When allowed) Approx cost: $50
      12 Team GNOME T-shirts (washed). Approx cost: $200
        Alternatively, we can get polos for $90 setup, and $30 a shirt
      5 largish GNOME posters. Approx cost: $250
      Recent printouts of our talking points and demo plans.
      A lockable cash box. Approx cost: $30
      Spare mice/keyboards/power-cables (wireless preferred). Approx
cost: $100
      A little box with 3 black marker pens, 10 biros, 2 pairs of
scissors, sellotape, glue, a ball of string, a box of pins/tacks. Approx
cost: $30.
      Injket printer. Approx cost: $200
        (ex: Canon PIXMA iP90 9466A001 16 ppm - $212)
        (ex: Canon PIXMA iP1600 Photo Printer - $50)
      Paper. Approx. Cost: $5
      CD Labels. Approx. Cost: $20
      Adjustable/Flexible packing material, particularly for the
electronic hardware. Approx. Cost: 20
      Optional/Changing:
          o LiveCDs
          o GNOME T-shirts
          o GNOME bags
          o GNOME stickers/badges
      Administration stuff:
          o 1 log book, saying where the box has been, and a message to
the next recipient.
          o 1 receipt book, for sales, donations, etc.
          o GNOME UPS/FedEx/DHL account details, for on-site pickup and
delivery of the box (not UPS/Fedex if the box is travelling to awkward
countries.).
          o Insurance details - Specifically, what to do if something is
lost/stolen.
          o List of Contents - maybe with the big/expensive items having
an inventory number
          o Stack of inventory checklists with stamped envelopes
addressed to GNOME Foundation for each user to write a report

Thanks,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.