Hi,

Quim Gil wrote:
> Definitely, this is a very good start. I searched "local" by title (no
> relevant results) and by text (too much results) and din't find this
> page.

Yeah - it's linked off "TeamWorkspaces" - I've added a link to the top
of "GnomeWorldwide" too, which seems like a logical place to look for
user groups.

> A first step into "certification" would be to agree a name for these
> groups.  :)

GNOME user groups.

> Another step could be to agree on a checklist of required + desirable
> points. Some of them are already there as recommendations.
>
> - Active mailing list for coordination

Required

> - Website up to date

Desirable

> - Responsive IRC channel

Desirable

> - GNOME Foundation members in the group

Desirable (I'd like to make this required - it would be nice for all
user groups to maintain a full membership list)

> - Agreed contact with the GNOME Foundation

English speaker - for the gugmasters mailing list we discussed during
the marketing BOF. The idea is to have one mailing list where user
groups co-ordinate (announce event participation, ask for help from
others, communicate results of stuff they're doing and so on) - the
resource should be enormously valuable, if we get buy-in from the
various groups. See the Infrastructure section of
http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam/GuadecBof2006 for more details (and
I will be looking for volunteers in September to get the infrastructure
mentioned in there off the ground and living and breathing).

> - Local press contact

Required, probably. And this should be a person. No more mailing lists
as press contacts!

> - Democratic and non-profit structure (legal existence desirable)

Definitely not required.

> Perhaps a first question would be whether we need to have something like
> an official list of GNOME groups and a checklist to know if your group
> is official or not.

I don't think so. We should simply have a list of all the groups we know
about, but you don't need a stamp of approval to support GNOME in your
town/region. The whole point of bottom-up marketing is to avoid any
approval process (even tacit or unwritten) and empower people to do
things on their own. We want to know what you're doing, to benefit
everyone, but there will be no official and unofficial GNOME groups.

> I think some kind of certification is needed to
> avoid conflicts like i.e. which is the "real" Russian GNOME website (or
> are both as "real"?) or risks like some guys linked to a profit company
> weaving the GNOME flag for selfish interests in a part of the planet
> where it is difficult to us to check what's going on.

I disagree quite strongly. We can take out the bad guys one at a time,
using the community mark idea. But we need to allow people to
self-organise without passing through the GNOME Foundation.

> Since organization of meetings, participation in events and fundraising
> for such activities are a common and primary mission of the local
> groups, I wonder if it would be useful to have a gnome-local or
> gnome-events mailing list to exchange ideas and experiences. Now this is
> supposed to go to marketing-list but, really, I think many people very
> active in local activities can be not interested in many discussions
> going on in marketing-list.

A GNOME user group masters mailing list is on the TODO list. Language is
one barrier, but if we can find one committed volunteer per user group
who speaks English, then we can avoid the problem (at least partially).

I insist, though, that the foundation is not the place where groups get
created or made official. We will be a service provider for user groups
- a place for information exchange and co-ordination - not a centralised
command & control structure.

Cheers,
Dave.

--