On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 05:50:53PM +0100, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 20:04 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

> > > I prefer Adrian Custer's suggestion.
> > >
> > > Tell me where to sign! :)
> >
> > Let's see how this works out:
> > http://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct/Signatures
>
> I signed the code of conduct under the strict condition that there is no
> official enforcement of these principles, and that it should not be
> interpreted like a legal document.

s/condition/assumption/ ?

> If that changes, then please automatically unsign me first. I even
> wouldn't care if every single other GNOME contributor would have signed
> it. Even if that happens, I still wouldn't agree with an official
> enforcement of the principles.

I did not agree with the initial version of the CoC. However, the
current can be interpreted as 'don't be a jerk'[1]. Why would you want
to accept such persons?

> My reason for that is very simple: GNOME is a multicultural world event
> happening. It welcomes peoples from every imaginable culture. It's not
> my task to question the (maybe strange for me) principles of a foreign
> culture. It's not my task to exclude people from our community based on
> cultural differences.

If some culture thinks it is ok to be a jerk, then I do not want to deal
with them. Well, it is more that I do not accept them being jerks.
Either change or be gone.

In the CoC you can see it *is* used for GNOME Bugzilla, and
unfortunately 1 person has been banned because of his behaviour (after
warnings).
I see the CoC as a easy reference I can point to. I have no problem
banning someone from GNOME Bugzilla or any mailinglist if some person
cannot behave themselves; for me the CoC is a pre-warning. This only for
extreme/obvious cases, I do not like nitpicking.

> Automatically unsign me once it becomes an official enforcement. I
> repeat again: my signature is not a tool to make these principles
> official. Not at all.

I suggest you do that yourself when it happens.

[1] replace with appropriate female version
--
Regards,
Olav