On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 10:11 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> >> I just want to put this in perspective: the foundation has $200,000 in
> >> the bank, with guaranteed income of $100,000 a year approx. One employee
> >> costs at least $70,000 per year, and depending on the role up to
> >> $100,000 or more.
> >>
> >> Manpower is expensive :)
> >
> > American manpower is expensive.
>
> French manpower is equally expensive. And British manpower too.

American manpower on the coasts is expensive.  People
in the middle of the country enjoy the same quality
of life for roughly half the income.  It's slightly
higher in the big cities, but even Chicago is still
much cheaper than, say, LA.

The price of non-American manpower will depend in
part on the exchange rate of the dollar with the
respective currency.  And right now, the dollar
won't get you as much in Europe as it used to.

A director, perhaps, is good to have in the Boston
area.  But a sysadmin could be living anywhere.

--
Shaun