On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Richard Stallman <r...@gnu.org> wrote:

>    We probably could have had moblin be "GNOME Netbook". We probably could
>    have had Maemo be "GNOME Smartphone". Or Sugar be "GNOME Education".
>
> It is fine if they promote GNOME, but remember that Maemo contains
> non-free software, so we wouldn't want GNOME to be too closely
> associated with it.

Maemo/Moblin/MeeGo use GNOME and we are proud of that. Of course, we always
encourage organizations and projects to use more free software but we should
not ostracise them because they don't use 100% free software.

These projects help fund, improve and promote GNOME. They hire many of our
community members to work on GNOME, they fund hackfests and they fund our
events. As our downstream partners, they are also members of our advisory
board.

> Sugar is a good thing, but it is a different interface -- is it
> connected with GNOME?

Sugar uses many GNOME technologies and they are interested in working with
us to improve GNOME, free software user interfaces and to promote free
software in developing countries. Sugar Labs sits on our advisory board.

Stormy