On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 17:03 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Here is a question for the candidates.
>
> To advance to the goal of freedom for software users, we need to
> develop good free software, and we need to teach people to value and
> demand the freedom that free software offers them.  We need to advance
> at the practical level and at the philosophical level.
>
> GNOME is good free software, and thus contributes at the practical
> level.  How will candidates use the user community's awareness of
> GNOME to contribute to educating the communityn about freedom?

People and corporations will not choose Free Software (or Open Source,
or any derivative flavour) because it's free.

First, you'll choose it because it's better, cheaper, and more
customisable (not the "I can have checkboxes" kind, but the "it would
only take a small effort to make it do exactly what I want to").

So I'd rather see us advance the "better" part, and the libre software
philosphy will flow from that. I don't think it requires that much
attention from the GNOME Foundation itself. Or, rather, it would not be
my focus if elected to the Foundation Board.

Cheers