On 05/28/2011 04:34 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
I'd like to ask the candidates this question:

* What do you think GNOME should do to help promote the ideals of free
software, beyond being composed of free programs.

I agree with Andre that successful promotion of Free Software goes through making great software. Lots of people obviously do not care much about ideology or vendors lock-in, however some are somewhere in the middle (between caring about ideology versus convenience) and those should be the one we focus on at the moment.

I feel the GNOME Foundation and the GNOME community generally already does a good job in promoting the Free Software ideology together with the software they make available to people.

That could probably be improved by actively doing joint-marketing and collaborating with other software freedom promoting organizations. We could also work together with the FSF on making positive marketing campaigns showing how using the GNOME desktop gives a better user experience while safeguarding users freedom.

And I'll extend this to the online services question by saying that a "cloud" based GNOME solution (the day when we have a solution) should be the assurance of having users privacy safe and keeping ownership of your own data (or portability to your own hosted services). Definitely something in line with what the FSF believes in and worth promoting together.

Pockey