On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Brian Cameron <brian.came...@oracle.com>wrote:

> Over the years, GNOME community events have grown in frequency, size
> and the expectations of hosting professional quality events.  It is a
> challenge for a volunteer community to keep up with consistently year
> after year.  Currently, events tend to be planned in isolation and
> there is too much reinventing of wheels.  GUADEC planning, for example,
> tends to mostly be done by the team who won the bid, and their ability
> to put together a good event does vary quite a bit from year to year.
> Fortunately, the 2012 GUADEC Planning team does seem to be in good
> shape, so this is one upcoming event that I am not so concerned about.

So, speaking as someone who was part of an organizing committee for
Plumbers.  Linux foundation knows how to do conferences, and do them
professionally.  How about co-location with a Linux Foundation conference?
For instance, having Plumbers conference with a desktop conference would be
quite interesting I think considering the direction we are moving towards.
A vertical platform, this might be more interesting.

Something else to consider when thinking about Boston Summit.

> That said, I do think that the last Desktop Summit event suffered from
> a general lack of participation on the GNOME side of things.  When we
> were unable to find a sponsor for GNOME social events, alternatives
> were not organized, for example.  GNOME was unable to find resources to
> help with infrastructure issues, such as identify management or helping
> to setup a registration system (a longstanding problem we seem to have
> year after year).  More seriously, a event like the Desktop Summit
> should inspire collaborative work and there did not seem to be enough
> effort in terms of planning concrete collaborative activities.  If we
> are to hold Desktop Summits in the future, I think we need to focus
> more energy in these areas to make them successful.

There are several things that we can learn from Linux Foundation on how to
run conferences.

My overall feeling is that we're moving towards a platform based end state
that doesn't really mix that well with other desktop projects.  I think
there are definitely some cross work at the lower layers that we can work
on but it seems that there should be a "freedesktop.org" conference or some
such, not a GNOME/KDE.  Shouldn't those folks step up and do something like
that?

My two cents.

sri