----- Original Message -----

I think we can do more with organization sponsorship and individual donations
than we are doing right now. We have a product that is naturally of interest to
a lot of consumers and corporate users, and of interest to hardware and
application developers to be compatible with. We also have technology that is
of interest to people to build their own products with or create services
around. When it became known that the GNOME Foundation was in a difficult
financial situation, we received an unprecedented number of individual
donations. These were previously untapped donors who are very supportive of
GNOME. I think we should aim to increase how much we get in private donations,
and we can do that by reporting to our donors how their money is being used and
having yearly fundraising campaigns. We need to dedicate our fundraising energy
to these two sources because they are complimentary to the goals we have for
advancing our technology. As a Foundation, even with an ED, we have lim
 ited resources, so we need to consider how to allocate them most effectively.

I'd like to share a great article about fundraising by the Ada Initiative
founders which has informed some of my views on it.
http://modelviewculture.com/pieces/the-ada-initiative-founders-on-funding-activism-for-women-in-open-source

Thanks,
Marina