On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 03:29:35PM +0200, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> I have a question, please explain me how outreach is mutually exclusive
> with creating great software? The thing is that we can and we should do
> both things, create great software and make an effort to do contribution
> outreach. Because we are a community project, and community projects can't
> exist without contributions. Software doesn't write itself.

In the GNOME Annual Report 2013, the Finance section reads:

        GNOME sponsored two [OPW] interns in 2013, one in the
        5th round and one in the 6th round of the program.

So that's at least $11,000 spent directly by the GNOME Foundation on
outreach.

When a GNOME developer launches a fundraising campaign, like for Pititi
or soon for Builder, the GNOME Foundation could help financially these
projects. Or the GNOME Foundation could organize regularly call for bids
so that an _experienced_ developer can be paid to work on something
important for GNOME. In my opinion, this would have a bigger impact than
sponsoring beginners (because yes, most GSoC or OPW interns _are_
beginners in GNOME when they start the program).