On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 12:06 PM, Magdalen Berns <m.be...@thismagpie.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Alexandre Franke
> <alexandre.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The membership can correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing that's not
>> been said so far is that the "N months before accepting a member" is
>> not really special to interns. Sure it seems it's only written for
>> them, but if someone were to apply after one month of involvement
>> (with or without paid incentive) I'm pretty sure the membership
>> committee (MC) would think it's too soon too.
>
> Who said anything about one month? An internship takes 3 months. An
> internship plus this waiting period is 5 months.

I did. I said one month, just as I could have said two, three, four,
or even five months. My point was precisely that contribution on a
short period don't constitute sufficient evidence of a person's
involvement within the community.

>>> The membership can correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing that's not
>>> been said so far is that the "N months before accepting a member" is
>>> not really special to interns.
>>
>> Also correct.
>
> In that case, what is the period of time is considered acceptable for
> non-interns to have contributed for before they make an application, then?

That's why I said that it should be at the MC's discretion. Setting a
hard rule for this is silly. Saying that someone contributing for six
months is not ok, but something contributing for six months and a day
is ok is silly. The MC should use their good judgment for the period
of time, just as they do with everything else.

--
Alexandre Franke