Hi Andreas,

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 10:23 AM, Andreas Nilsson <li...@andreasn.se> wrote:

> As part of the GNOME Trademark Fundraiser [1], the Foundation raised $102
> 608 USD.
> Since the trademark claims from the other part in the issue was withdrawn,
> it was never taken to court and the money was never spent on that.
> What, in your mind, is the best use of these funds now? Kept as a War
> Chest [2] or spent on something specific?

It's hard to answer this question without a good understanding of the
Foundation cash flow, and even then economics is not my best skill :-)

Having said that, assuming the Foundation has some cash reserves outside
this "war chest", I don't think keeping the money in the bank is the best
use of it, as it will quickly lose its value over time; I don't have a
single specific idea in mind, but I would like the money to be spent "on
people".
GNOME is in the unique position to be able to support and connect people
with the same or converging interests. This can take many concrete shapes:
outreach into new communities, bounties for features or fixes, conferences
and many more.
In other words, I would love to see that money used in a way that leaves
the GNOME community enriched with more human capital, and that criteria
would guide my choices on how to spend it.

Cosimo