Hi Richard,

How do you suggest the GNOME Foundation could contribute more to
> advance the cause of free software and users' freedom, over and above
> what GNOME contributes by being useful free software?

I am not sure whether you feel I answered your question either. I think it
could be useful if you could be more specific about what you mean,
especially as there are a fair few restrictions on what we at GNOME can do
to contribute to the advance of free software under the bylaws and CNPBC so
we are obliged to stick to the mission if we are to continue to
enjoy 501(c)(3) status as a public benefit corporation (i.e. a
charity).[1,2,3]

With that said, at the moment we are technically “delinquent" so we have
lost our tax exempt status for not submitting required 990 forms.[4,5]
Assuming that has been a mistake and that we do actually want to benefit
from 501(c)(3) status, then I think we would be obliged to sort all that
out and just stick to the original mission of the GNOME Foundation which
essentially allows us to continue to do things like produce useful free
software and educate people all about it.

I would be pretty open to hearing any ideas on what we can do above and
beyond being useful free software which does fall within GNOME’s remit,
though. I am just not sure I really understand what you’re asking about
correctly! Do you have any related ideas which you would like us to think
about, concerning this?

Magdalen

[1] https://www.gnome.org//wp-content/uploads/2011/11/bylaws.pdf
[2]