On Wed, 2018-06-20 at 11:10 +0100, Allan Day wrote:
> Benjamin Berg <benja...@sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> > I have neither gotten a response nor have I seen an indication that the
> > Board is discussing the issue. Is the Board planning on responding to
> > this request?
>
> Reading back over the thread, it's not entirely clear what the issue
> is, so I'll just summarise what's happened:
>
>  * A GitLab account was blocked due to inappropriate behaviour
>  * The user then sent the GitLab admin a request to remove the account
> along with all posted comments
>  * The Board decided to anonymise the comments rather than delete
> them, in order to preserve thread history
>  * When the admin went to delete the account, GitLab removed all the
> comments too, so anonymization wasn't possible
>
> So we did fully comply with the request, albeit unintentionally.

Right, I seem to have missed the information that the comments were
deleted. I was under the impression that there is still activity from
the user available on Gitlab at this point.

> In this case, losing the comments wasn't a major issue since they
> didn't have any value. However, if the user was a long-time
> contributor, the situation would of course be different.

I fully understand that there is an interest for old comments and bug
reports to remain available. I raised my concerns because it seemed
like we have currently exactly one person who is barred from editing
their Gitlab history, while everyone else can do so freely.

> In the future, I think it would be good to have a policy in place for
> situations like this.

Is there a ticket to track the creation of such a policy?

> Does that help to clarify?

Thanks for the reply, I do believe that this has clarified the matter a
lot.

Benjamin