On Thu, 2019-07-18 at 12:36 -0500, mcatanz...@gnome.org wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 7:33 AM, Bastien Nocera <had...@hadess.net>
> wrote:
> > I also noticed that the "free" registration option went away. Is
> > that on purpose?

I don't know the specific circumstances motivating this change, but for
context - individuals sponsored by the travel committee have been sent
a discount code which waives the registration fee at the checkout.

> In previous years, the registration fee was structured as a donation
> rather than a mandatory purchase. Rumor has it this was to avoid a
> repeat of the tax problems from the last desktop summit. Seems
> important to make sure this change won't be problematic.

I was just discussing this exact topic with Eike from KDE e.V. as the
GNOME board has just been considering funding conditions/approval for
LAS. It sounds like the European non-profit handling of fees versus
donations is different (and more strict/complex) than my understanding
of how this works for GNOME. I might be mistaken however. :)

> Michael

Cheers,
Rob